Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Today I watched a woman's whole world fall apart.

I work part-time at a small town hole-in-the wall bar. A few days a week, I serve retired men 50 cent draft beers while I listen to them talk about the good old days and complain about the state of the world today. Overall, I like it. I have grown fond of the guys and their tall tales.

About 4:00 today, the phone rang. It was the union steward from a construction crew of mostly local guys who are sent all over the state to do really hard work in really crappy conditions. He asked for the wife of one of my semi-regulars, Ray. The construction business was a fair weather game, and if it was raining hard, or if the union was in negotioations, Ray would be at the bar instead of on the job. He was a pleasant guy, always good for a laugh and at least a dollars tip. Ray's wife wasn't around when the phone call came, and I knew it couldn't be good news. About 45 min. later, she burst through the door in a frantic state.

"He's dead! I just got a call. Ray fell off the bridge and he's dead"

We rushed to her side, all offering a hug and any comfort we could. But it hadn't yet hit her. She was in a state of shock and disbelief. She wasn't sure if coming to their favorite watering hole was the right thing to do at a time like this. But she and Ray had no family. And she couldn't bear to be in her home for another minute.

I didn't know what to say or do, other than keep the glass in front of her nice and full. She kept repeating "I'm a widow. I'm a widow" over and over. Knowing it was the truth, but not yet believing it.

I'm scared for her. She is a fragile person and this could easily break her. I'm worried that she might be alone when it hits her that she really is a widow, and that Ray won't be coming home again. I am not her friend. I am just a part time bartender. I don't know what to offer her other than my thoughts and prayers. But tomorrow, I will make sure that she knows she's got at least that much from me.

1 comment:

Twisted Cinderella said...

OMG, ((hugs)) for that poor woman.