Sunday, August 20, 2006

My blog, how I've missed you.

I haven't posted since Wednesday. WEDNESDAY! I promised fast and furious posting. I have ALL these ideas swimming around in my head, just dying to come out in blog form. And I have been absent. Away from my blog and away from my PC all together. Because I suddenly found myself an underwilling participant in Clean and Organize Fest 2006.

You see, my children and I lived in this house for about two years before my true love moved in with us. In those two years we pretty much filled all the spaces. The closets were loaded with junk (I mean useful stuff) and all of the surfaces of the home were sufficently covered with clutter. I liked to think of it as homey and comfortable.

When my darling came into the home, he brought his lifetime accumulation of things, and we needed to make room. The kids spent the weekend with their father (I use that term VERY loosly) so we had an opportunity to get some real work done around here. I will be completely honest with you, I cannot take ANY of the credit for what was accomplished. I really can't. It was all Brian's doing. And what ever it is that I did do, was all at Brian's insistence (I mean encouragement). You see, I am quite lazy, and a weekend with no kids is a perfect time for laziness. And, while I am being honest here, I will admit that I would have been perfectly content to just throw all his crap in a corner of the basement and let him have half of the bed. I don't know why, but he didn't go for that. So the cleaning and reorganization began.

We have two of EVERYTHING (three complete dining room sets). So we had to come together and do a tribunal concerning every extra item and decide what will stay and what will go. My coffee cups were voted off the island because his are bigger and in better shape. His gigantic latchwork art peice (another very loose term) was sentenced to life in the basement. He wouldnt part with it, but it wasn't going up on any of the walls. It really didn't go with any of the home decor, but it works perfectly down there. We combined the silver and the towels and most of the kitchen items. We now have more food storage containers then a Chinese take out.

We aren't there yet. We still have a few kinks to be worked out and some adjustments to be made. But I think it will work just swell. He is good to have around for manly type things, like taking out the garbage and bug killing. And he is very good with helping me to keep the house clean. Well, he is really good at making me feel guilty because I don't really give a shit if its clean or not. But guilt is a powerful motivator, and my house is cleaner than it ever was for any length of time. My clothes have NEVER all been clean all at once. There was always laundry that needed to be done. Now that all of my clothing is clean, I cannot seem to find room for it all. I really never even realized that I owned so many articles of clothing.

I'm a lucky girl. A lucky girl with a good man, a clean house, and more clean T-shirts and dining chairs than I can shake a stick at.

1 comment:

Twisted Cinderella said...

Too funny. My clothes are never all clean at the same time. I do get the occasional cleaning fit when every dish, every item of clothing, every item we own gets washed cleaned and put away and then I find out I have no room for everything. LOL