Thursday, June 26, 2008

On work ...

Being a single mother, I don’t really have the option of being a stay at home mom. I have no idea how I could swing that and even if it did, I’m sure I wouldn’t enjoy standing in those long lines for my government cheese vouchers, and I don’t know if there are any federally sponsored programs that would subsidize the cost of my personal necessities like my cell phone, internet service, and semi-regular coffee stops. And because any sort of child support is a rarity for me, my family very much depends on my paychecks.

Fortunately for me I really enjoy my job, it is challenging and personally satisfying. But it isn’t without its drawbacks. I work incredibly long hours which means that a large portion of my pay goes towards childcare, which, when you think about it, doesn’t really make much sense. I am in the business of construction management which has traditionally been a mans game. And all of the men I work with who have children also have wives at home to help in the parenting. It is much easier for them to put in the long hours and that leaves me looking like a slacker when I am only able to work 10 or 11 hours on most days. Lucky for them, they can miss a soccer game here or there because mom will be there to cheer the kids on and shuttle them to and from. They don’t have to leave work when the school nurse calls or take a day off when their child is ill. It is perfectly normal and acceptable for them to come home late to find the kids fed, freshly bathed, and ready for bed. That kind of stuff can’t happen in my world. When I come home from a long days work, I still have my real job to do. There is no one at home taking care of the laundry or the kids while I am working. It will all be waiting there for me when I get home. What is the one thing that these men have that I don’t? No. Not that. That is not useful to me at all. The one thing that gives them a great advantage? A wife. Yeah. A wife. I need to get me one of those.

From what I understand a wife is a very handy thing to have around. And from what I remember of my experience, having a husband wasn’t all that helpful. Seemed to me like that whole situation was a lot more trouble than it was worth. But a wife is someone who takes care of things. Wives get stuff done. They are effective and invaluable for important and constructive things like running a home, making and keeping appointments, and staying organized. Picking up slack and tying loose ends. Having some help in those areas is exactly what I need. Sounds like a perfect solution. So where can I get me one of those wives? California?

All kidding aside, in reality necessity dictates that I have to get up every morning and go to work to support my family. And because I work with men who’s at home obligations are largely being covered by someone else, I have to work harder than would normally be necessary to compete with people who are able to give more than I am. I will admit that I feel that I am very fortunate to really love the job that keeps me away from my kids for so long, and allows us to live fairly comfortably on just my income. I just hope that someday my hard work and diligence will have paid off and I will have advanced in my field in such a way that I will be paid enough to employ some outside help. I think I will start researching Manny services now.

No comments: